Thursday, December 1, 2011

Reflection on the Course

     This semester has been fun but quite challenging!  Starting off as a person who finds English challenging, I can honestly say that this is still a harder subject for me but I've learned new skills that will help me in the future.
   
     The first paper that was assigned, I was really not looking forward to.  Personally I do not find poetry interesting or useful in anyway.  My first draft I felt was decent, however Ms. Cline said I needed to look deeper for the underlying statement.  After reading the poem a hundred times, it felt like, it really started to make sense and I understood what I felt was the underlying theme.  The poetry assignment helped me to have an open mind about poetry and try to look deeper for a hidden meaning the author has.  With my final draft came much improvement and a feeling of accomplishment.
   
    Frankenstein was also challenging but it seemed easier because I enjoyed the novel.  This assignment taught me how to find specific citations that help the theme that I had chosen. My biggest challenge that I found while writing this paper was trying to tie everything that I had gathered and bringing it back to the my thesis.  But I feel that I did a good job on the final draft and knowing this was a specific challenge for me it really became a priority for the final paper.

    In the future, this English class will help me in my communication skills, as far as speaking with correct English.  The field I am entering there is typing evaluations on patients so I am sure it will also help there as well.  I have thoroughly enjoyed this class and am confident that the skills I've acquired will stick with me in life.
This image is from: http://www.petraedu.com/imgs/cartoon.bmp

4 comments:

  1. Lindsey, It is a great feeling to walk away knowing you have learned and accomplished something and it sounds like you have. Although I found the course hard as well I learned much and believe it will stick with me for future writing assignments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I too have enjoyed this class and had challenges myself. My challenge was the papers but more than that, it was finding the time to put all I wanted into my papers. I can say though that I too will be walking away with some knowledge that I can use now and in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel much as you have. English isn't my forte either, and I certainly don't grasp poetry well! But you do learn how to crank out pages in this class huh? It was always nice to turn in a large assignment and know that you came up with the whole thing yourself. Good job Lindsey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too enjoyed the poetry assignment. Not at first but as i read the poem over and over I started to see it in a different way. I struggled with the frankenstein essay and am thankful this is my last english class. Good luck in school!

    ReplyDelete