Thursday, August 25, 2011

Good Readers and Good Writers

   Nabokov believes in order to be a good reader one should not get to involved with a book.  For example, not go as far to associate ones self to deeply with a specific character or the time in which the book takes place.  He believes that their should be a line drawn between simply enjoying the book without personal relation and appreciating its artistic form.  Personally, I don't really agree with not being fully consumed personally in a book.  That is what makes the book so interesting sometimes.  I do agree with a few of Nabokov definitions of being a good reader.

  I feel that if it's the right type of book I'm a very good reader.  Even if the book doesn't fully catch my attention, reading for comprehension is something I do fairly well.  I believe in order to be a good reader one has to have a very long attention spam and an huge imagination.  Having a rather large vocabulary also is helpful to avid readers.




1 comment:

  1. Good points but I think that what he meant by not being to into the book was before you read it. Basically, don't judge a book by it's cover is how I took it. In order for the imagination to take place you do have to commenced into the book, without that then your imagination can't really do what it's supposed to do. I am like you too, I can comprehend the book if I really enjoy it or not, but it's easier for me (if I don't enjoy it) to re-read the important parts. Great response though!

    ReplyDelete